Ms. Uchida has represented international and Japanese clients in strategic transactions including joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, business alliance and licensing.
She represents private equity funds, institutional investors and private and public operating companies in a variety of industries.
She also has substantial experience on antitrust law matters (including providing assistance to Japanese clients in cartel investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice, defending clients in investigations by Japan Fair Trade Commission), international trade disputes (WTO treaty-related issues), and U.S. regulatory and civil litigation matters and internal investigations (including those involving the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act).
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Antitrust and Competition
- Represented General Electric in forming a joint venture with SNECMA Propulsion Solide, S.A., and Nippon Carbon Co., Ltd. involving design, development, manufacture and sale of silicon carbide fibers;
- Represented Grove International Partners, Tokio Marine Capital Co., Ltd. and Globis Capital Partners in disposing their stakes in a Japanese provider of in-home care and retirement home services;
- Represented The Walt Disney Company (Japan), Co., Ltd. in acquiring the Disney Stores Japan business from Oriental Land, Co., Ltd.;
- Represented a U.S. based private company focused on educational services in its investment in a Japanese post-secondary institution;
- Provided legal services on pro-bono basis to US-Japan Council in forming a not-for-profit entity in Japan;
- Represented a multinational retail corporation in a series of corporate and debt restructuring within its group;
- Provided support to Japanese clients in connection with U.S. litigations and investigations involving the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, U.S. antitrust laws and U.S. gaming industry regulations;
- Provided tax structuring advice in M&A transactions and for investment platforms;
- Offered antitrust counseling on mergers and acquisitions;
- Handled legal issues related to corporate law, education laws, securities regulation, export control regulations, pharmaceutical regulation, bankruptcy law, intellectual property law, and international trade law; and
- Advising, negotiating and drafting cross border transactions and domestic transactions such as joint venture, strategic business alliance agreements, licensing.
|New York (2009)
|New York University School of Law, LL.M. in International Taxation, 2009
|Columbia Law School, LL.M., 2008
|Legal Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan, 2001
|University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law, LL.B., 2000
|Nishimura & Partners (current Nishimura & Asahi), 2001 - 2006
|Paul Hastings Foreign Law Joint Enterprise (Tokyo office of Paul Hastings LLP), 2006 - 2013
|Miyakezaka Sogo Law Offices, 2013 -
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- Member of the Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the New York State Bar Association
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Contributor to "English Translation of the Commercial Code of Japan," SHOJI-HOMU, Co-Author (March 2004)
- Contributor to "Tax & Law ? Practical Aspects of Operating Affiliated Companies," DAI-ICHI Hoki, Co-Author (since 2010)