Mr. Matsumoto is an experienced lawyer with nine years practicing mergers and acquisitions, finance, litigation and ADRs, and bankruptcy and restructuring in connection with both domestic and cross-border contexts.
He focuses on assisting Japanese companies with investment and compliance in foreign countries, especially ASEAN countries recently.
He also has substantial experience in the insurance related laws and compliance including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Act and the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Litigations / ADRs
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Secured a successful business transfer between a German company and a Japanese company.
- Advised a leading American communications company to purchase the whole stock of a Japanese company by researching Anti-Monopoly Act, Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Control Law, and Building Standards Act.
- Assisted in launching Japanese subsidiaries of Hong Kong, China, California, German, and other foreign companies by preparing company rules and submitting appropriate documentation to the Bank of Japan.
- Advised a listed company in issuing tranche of new stocks to the foreign investor via a new scheme.
- Won a complex case pertaining to collection of one billion and two hundred million yen in debt from the dissolution of a joint venture both in Japan and Singapore.
- Defended an overseas investor on investigations by the Financial Services Agency of Japan regarding tender offer.
|New York (2012)
|The Northwestern University School of Law, LL.M./Kellogg, 2011
|Legal Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan, 2006
|The University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law, LL.B., 2001
|Miyakezaka Sogo Law Offices, 2014 -
|MetLife Insurance K.K., 2012 - 2014
|Kuribayashi Sogo Law Office, 2006 - 2012
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Tokyo Bar Association
- Member of the Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Admitted Support Attorneys to Help Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises Doing Business Overseas
- Member of Center of Bankruptcy and Rehabilitation of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises
- Member of Business Development Committee of Lawyers, Tokyo Bar Association
- Member of Japanese Law Translation Council, Ministry of Justice
- Member of International Committee of Tokyo Bar Association
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- "Practices of Companies Act Amendment of 2014"JIYUKOKUMINSHA, Co-Author (May, 2015)
- Article "M&As in ASEAN Countries (Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam)" of Future Nihon M&A Center (May, 2015)
- "Know-How and Practices of Successful Business Succession," JIYUKOKUMINSHA, Co-Author (December, 2008)
- "M&A as measures to maintain business for small companies," law seminar for members of Tokyo Bar, Lecturer (2009)
- Strategic legal procedure in event of restructuring in America, law seminar for administrators, Lecturer (2009)
- How to disclose corporate scandals, law seminar for IR personnel of listed companies, Lecturer (2007)
- Insider deal in M&A, law seminar for members of Tokyo Bar, Panelist (2007)
- Practice of timely disclosure, law seminar for members of Tokyo Bar, Lecturer (2007)